Big Idea: Jesus claims he is the light of the world, his disciples are those who hold onto his teaching and belong to the Father, whilst others belong to the devil.
What does it mean for Jesus to be the Light of the world?
Passage: John 8:12-29
12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” 13 So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” 14 Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I knowwhere I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15 You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16 Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father[a]who sent me. 17 In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. 18 I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” 19 They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; butno one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come.
21 So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” 22 So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” 23 He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” 25 So they said to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Just what I have been telling you from the beginning. 26 I have much to say about you and much to judge, but he who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.” 27 They did not understand that he had been speaking to them about the Father.28 So Jesus said to them, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.
1. Compare Jesus and the Crowd/World
- Jesus is light of the world VS darkness, provides light of life- Jesus is God (1 John 1:5) v12
- Knows where he comes from and where he is going VS unknown v14
- Not judge/judge correctly because stand with the father VS judge by human standards v16-18
- Knows the Father VS not knowing v17-19
- Heavenly VS earthly v23
- In heaven VS condemned non-believers v21, 23-24
- Knows VS does not understand v27
- From God VS having a demon v48-52
- now/is God and greater than Abraham VS not know God v55-58
2. Compare the responses of the two crowds
- Holding to Jesus teaching VS disobey v31
- Know truth and set free VS enslaved v32-34
- Permanent place (with God) VS no place v35-36
- Abraham children VS devil’s children v39-44
- Hearing VS not hearing v47
We are called to hold to Jesus’ teaching. What does this look like in your life?
Where do we currently stand and do we/how should respond to this?