Study 2 – We are all Guilty
Week ending – 09/11/2014
Romans 1:18 – 3:20
The whole world is guilty of unrighteousness before God both Jew and Gentiles
1.Why did the God reveal his wrath upon the Gentiles, how is this wrath manifested?
Rom 1: 18 – 20:
- Wrath of God is being revealed against all the godlessness and wickedness (unrighteousness) of men –> wickedness which suppresses the truth
- The truth –> what may be known about God (v.19) –> God’s eternal power and divine nature (v.20)
- This truth –> revealed through creation (natural revelation) (v.20) –> men without excuse (Weirsbe makes note that Human history began with man knowing God)
Despite knowing God, what is the path man took:
- Rom 1:21-22: worshiped idols instead –> the consequences of which was continued sin
- Forgot God (Rom 1:28)
In what way did God reveal his wrath?
- He gave them over to their sin –> deserving of death
Issue of the Law – the gentiles never had the law (revealed the requirements of God) which were given to the Jews:
- As a starting point, as per Rom 1:20 the Gentiles has no excuse
- Rom 2:12 – Those who sin apart from the law will perish apart from the law
- Rom 2:14 -15, the law was written on the Gentile heart with the conscience acting as a witness
2. How were the Jews just as guilty as the Gentiles?
The Jews were hypocrites (Rom 2:17- 23)
- The Jew who:
- Relied on the law
- Bragged about relationship with God
- Instructed by the law
- Guide for the blind
- Light for those in the dark
- Instructor for the foolish
- Teacher of infants
- Teacher of others
- Do you not teach yourself?
God does not require an outward circumcision – this is useless if the law is not followed (2:25).
Paul moves on to the new paradigm – circumcision only has value if it is of the heart by the Spirit.
3. What does Paul conclude?
Rom 3:9 – 20
- Both Jews and Gentiles alike are guilty
- No one is righteous as all have turned from God
- All are guilty under the law –> the law serves to reveal sin